Sutton on Trent and Grassthorpe are rural Trentside villages on the traditional grazing land of the Holmes.
Sutton on Trent
Sutton on Trent is in a conservation area. It is also on the edge of the original medieval village core. The Domesday book of 1086 describes Sutton on Trent as having a priest and a church, three fisheries, 100 acres of meadow and woodland pasture. The population at this time was 33 people so the village was well established, implying a Saxon origin.
All Saints Church in Sutton on Trent is a Grade 1 listed building. The origins of the church are believed to be Saxon given its mention in the Domesday book. The building today is mainly 13th century with a 16th century chapel. Points of interest inside are the 16th century rood screen in the South chapel and an old font with a 17th century cover.
The small village of Grassthorpe was founded later than Sutton on Trent so has no mention in the Domesday book. The name implies a Viking origin for the settlement as 'thorp' is an Old Norse word meaning 'village'.
In the village of Grassthorpe, as the road bends to the right, Grassthorpe Manor can be seen to the left. In 1993, 30 rifles (type Lee Enfield .303) were found clipped to roof beams in the roof space of the Manor. They had been hidden for recovery in an emergency rather than for immediate use. It is believed to be an Auxiliary Unit arms cache, hidden as part of preparations for invasion during World War II.
The fields on the right were known as the Holmes. The word has a Scandinavian origin and means an island in a river or lake. It also came to mean a low flat tract of land beside a river. As they were liable to flooding these fields were not used for food crops but as extra pasture and for growing hay. Separate areas of the Holmes - North Holme and South Holme - are distinguished on the map '20 Miles Around Mansfield' by Sanderson, produced in 1835. Today the area is no longer recognised on maps.