Devon Park Pastures is a riverside Local Nature Reserve to the west of Sconce and Devon Park in Newark.
The site covers a range of habitats including grassland, marginal river vegetation and an area of deciduous woodland and is owned and managed by Newark and Sherwood District Council. It has an interesting history being the site of a linen factory in the 1790s which was demolished during the First World War. Lime was used in the manufacturing process and these residues left in the soil may be the reason why the North Meadow has fewer species of wildflower than South Meadow, although it is also possible that agricultural management has reduced the number of wildflower species.
Devon Park Pastures is adjacent to the historic Sconce and Devon Park which has recently undergone major improvements. It now provides new visitor facilities including parking, cafe, play area and toilets. The park is the site of one of the country's finest examples of Civil War fortification earthworks, the Queen's Sconce. This Scheduled Ancient Monument is an internationally important heritage feature dating between 1642 to 1651.
The Friends of Sconce and Devon Park is a group of volunteers who assist the Council with the management and maintenance of the park. The Friends meet every other month and new members are always welcome. For further details please contact the Parks Section on 01636 655713
Devon Park Pastures is accessible via Sconce and Devon Park. Parking is available at several locations around the park. Visit the website below to see the location. Grid reference SK 788 529.